The Arsenal of Venice was in fact the first factory of the modern era. In its heyday in the late sixteenth century, occupying up to 16000 workers and was able to build as many as 100 ships in just two months.
It occupies a surface of 24 hectares.
The area where the ropes were being produced is now used as an exhibition hall of the Biennale.
The ships produced in the arsenal ensured the victory of Christianity in the Battle of Lepanto in 1571.
The area was then abandoned. In recent years it has tried to bring it back to its original splendor, especially in the premises hosting cultural events.